Port Shepstone lighthouse, to the south of the Umzimkulu River mouth, stands 8 metres high, and with its “checkerboard” paintwork is a well know landmark of the Port Shepstone area. The cast iron lighthouse was shipped from Britain to Natal in the 1890’s and was originally erected at Scottburgh to mark the southern end of Aliwal Shoal. It was later moved to Port Shepstone, where it was erected more than 100 years ago. At that time, Port Shepstone was a working harbour.
The Port Shepstone Lighthouse, now a national monument, has a range of 26 sea miles and its automatically revolving electric light flashes once every 6 seconds.
The lighthouse shares its property with a Tourism Information Office and provides an unsurpassed view over the Umzimkulu River mouth and the wide Port Shepstone beach, well-known for its rock angling.
Guided tours are offered every day of the week and special tours for school groups can also be arranged.
See also the Port Edward Lighthouse which is nearby, and also still in active use.